It's been a busy month between work and NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). This year I managed to write 50,739 words on my sci-fi prequel to the Courage Colony books, Fatal Glitch. It's an extremely rough draft with a lot of padding on one hand and some scenes which will need to be fleshed out on the other. In other words, the rewrite is going to take a while... but I'm still celebrating!
I'm also pleased that twice this month I managed to write over 5,000 words in one day. This bodes well for meeting future targets. I'm thinking that, outside NaNoWriMo, my minimum word target for each day during production periods should be 1,000 words. Anything over that would be a lovely bonus. That way, I can better balance productivity and editing, hopefully winding up with a better first draft at the end of each piece.
In other good news, four out of eight beta readers have reported back on the first book in the series which takes place a few centuries after the prequel, The Approach. I have a few small tweaks to make and some amazingly positive comments which will keep me smiling through the final changes to the text before the copy edit.
If all goes well, I'm hoping to have both books ready for publication in the first half of next year. Wish me luck. :)
Until next time!